Saturday, 11 June 2016

365 Lifestyle Lolita Challenge- Week 8

Day 50- Take the “Are you a pure Lolita” Quiz from GLB

I scored 28. Apparently I’m not pure haha! Most of those questions were very strange. I do not wish to become a doll (I like being a living creature), Roses aren’t my favourite flower or scent, caste systems are wrong and I’m a zoologist so a natural paradise sounds more appealing to me than a concrete jungle. I also don’t know what Harry Potter or Twilight have to do with being a ‘pure’ Lolita. It was a bit of fun though!


Day 51- Share your first Lolita dress and why you chose it

I already shared my first Lolita dress on day which asked to photograph your oldest piece. I chose it because it was a simple, solid gothic piece. It looked pretty and was pretty cheap so I could see how I felt about it.


Day 52- Learn how to spot a constellation

I live in a city so unfortunately there is a lot of light pollution and you're lucky if you see one or two stars in the sky. But when I went to the Isle of Eigg, the sky was alive with stars! I spent a good few magical nights with other volunteers looking up at the sky and chatting away under a blanket or twenty. I also love all the myths surrounding the constellations.

You need to orientate yourself and a star map north. In order to face north, you need to find Polaris (the North Star), or use a compass. If you don't have a physical compass, there are plenty of compass apps for phones. If you manage to find Polaris, it makes aligning the star map with the stars much easier, as polaris is the brightest star in the Ursa Minor (Little Dipper) constellation. Although you can align the star map with any constellation, not all constellations are visible all year round. Those that are visible all year in the Northern Hemisphere are Auriga, Camelopardalis, Cassiopeia, Cepheus, Draco, Lynx, Perseus, Ursa Major, and Ursa Minor.

Windows2Universe is a fantastic website that is split into beginner, intermediate and advanced information on the sky, space and stargazing: http://www.windows2universe.org/the_universe/Constellations/circumpolar.html


Day 53- Design a coordinate based on a painting

The Lady of Shalott by Alfred Lord Tennyson is one of my favourite poems and I love this painting by John William Waterhouse on the lady. I love the Pre-Raphaelite style. There are lots of stunning little details in the painting, but one of my favourite tdetails is the lady's expression; I think it perfectly captures her sorrow and confusion.

Her look is more simple than I would have imagined from the poem, the main detail seems to be the long sleeves which are submerged in the water.


I decided to go for this ensemble pictured bellow. I though Cross and Roses long op in white would be fitting since she is wearing a long white dress in the painting, and the cross is a nod to the crucifix in her boat. The white arm cover with the princess sleeve bolero would reflect the sleeves of the lady's dress. The black chiffon belt and gold pearls would reflect the belt and beads that the lady is wearing. I opted for a gold circlet and gold shoes to balance out the top and bottom, and black crystal hair spirals for the same reason.


This challenge was more difficult than I thought it would be! It reminded me of how the obsession with colour balancing in lolita fashion doesn't really apply to other fashions. In the painting the lady's circlet is silver, her necklace is gold and her belt is black. That would be a big no-no in a lolita coord! I tried my best to balance the colours in this coord, although I'm still not sure if it would actually work when it's all put together on a person. Oh well, it was a fun challenge!



Day 54- Photograph where you store your accessories

I don't have any exciting storage, I'm afraid! I just store my jewellery in the top drawer and my hair accessories in the bottom drawer of my beside table.




Day 55- Read the princess code

The Princess Code is a poem by Princess Skye which was on her blog Princess Portal. But the website has been closed, so I read it on parfaitdoll.com as she references the original author and site very clearly. I think the poem is really cute and it always makes me smile!


Day 56- browse through the daily lolita livejournal posts from when you started in lolita

Aw man, the nostalgia is strong today! Although I've never had a livejournal account (I just stick to Facebook groups), it's so nice to have a nosy round the livejournal archives to see parts of the online comm captured in time.   

No comments:

Post a Comment